Today I remembered a funny joke I had heard about English. It came from urbandictionary.com:
If you think about how many English words come from French, German, and even Old Norse, it seems to be true!
English also takes from:
- Japanese (karaoke, manga, haiku, sushi,…),
- Hindi and Urdu (cushy, bandanna, mantra, nirvana,…),
- Arabic (adobe, algebra, henna, giraffe,…)
- Native American languages, such as Algonquian (moose, muskrat, woodchuck,…) and Quechua (condor, Inca, puma, quinine, llama,…)
- And many other languages!
Ask me in the Comments Form or book a class with me to learn more!